Pittsburgh Post Gazette
Just down the street in the South Side Flats from St. Casimir is another church finding new life as condos.
Matthew’s Lofts (www.matthewsloftspgh.com) is in the former St. Matthew Catholic Church at 156 S. 19th St., South Side. Built in 1905, the church primarily served the Slovak immigrant community. The Pittsburgh Diocese decommissioned the church in 1992, and it stood vacant until Tom Sabol and Scott Wolkowitz with AM Group started the conversion.
Instead of dividing the units for one-level living, Desmone Architects created six townhouse units that rise three levels with underground tandem parking. Each unit takes advantage of the interior architecture in that part of the original building.
The standard finish package includes brass, nickel and chrome details and slab or Shaker-style cabinet doors in white, black or oak. Quartz countertops and Whirlpool stainless-steel appliances are offered in the kitchen.
The condos range in size from 1,267 to 1,875 square feet and in price from $396,000 to $589,000. The top price goes to Unit 1, a very cool space with a round stained-glass window and bell tower. The main living space is on the upper level, and the two bedrooms are below. It features 1,525 square feet, 2½ baths, a loft, a den and a dramatic spiral staircase. It also has two tandem indoor parking spaces.
For a tour and more information, contact Kathy Wallace of Keller Williams Realty at 412-855-8419 or www.kw.com.